Team Khateer

Seek it. Find it. Adventure it.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Opps, I did it again (sigh)

So Im in Jordan, finished day 4 of class, which there are 6 people in (better than the 2 i originally thought). It may that were stuck in Jordan, but everyone seems to have made friends with each other pretty quickly (it feels like we've been here for weeks-thats not a good thing).

The bad thing is though, the guys showed me this cheap internet place close to the hotel, which is good. The bad part is we go to play games for a few hours after class. I thought i was over video games, but theres something about having Arabic to do that makes learning how to place Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour very appealing. I guess on the plus side Ive learned quickly and arent too bad, the down side is Im getting good in the few hours before dinner when I could have got my homework done.

The Hashemite University people seem to really like us being here, and/or are trying to impress us by inviting us to everything they have. The first day was just hours of orentation which didnt really do anything except show us the school and subject us to 3 hours of speeches and presentations. The next day we went to the graduation, which has sparked alot of talk between the group. First off, they reserve front row seats for us, then while we had just walked in an hour before with seats (the place was already filled) they give us bottled water and coffee, yes, in front of everyone sitting behind us. The gym filled up but there were tons of people still REALLY REALLy wanting to get in. So they closed the gate which started a mini riot of sorts. People are pushing, trying to climb over the gate, gaurds are yelling at people. How there never was a real fight I have no idea. The graduates walked in and largely just kept talking on their phones or to each other, through speeches, Qu'ran recitations, etc. etc. Being in Cairo, Jerusalem and now here it wasnt that big of a surprise to me. But alot of the group was kinda shocked at the grad scene as a whole. I made a joke that the Arabs need about a spoonful (the little worthless spoons that make up half of the spoons at my house-not a big spoon) of reason to get excited and start yelling and fighting. Usually my jokes dont have the every-joke-is-50%-true thing, but this one did. More like 90%. So yeah, I guess I might want to say I dont really like the Arabs, and I havent for about 2 years. The people we meet are great, but somehow they form mob mentalities with about 3 people standing next to each other.

I'll try to update the blog more often for the 2 people that read it, but the connection at this place gets super laggy if alot of people are here. Thus, then that happens i cant post.

Oh man, only like a billion more days of class left. Croquet and some Unicorns dont sound too bad right now.

1 Comments:

At Sat Jul 09, 06:18:00 AM EDT, Blogger Laura Negus said...

C. you have more than 2 readers, I promise. I appreciate your honesty about disliking Arabs; I would like this theme expanded on/ explained more clearly. And quit playing damn video games; you aren't in flipping Norman!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home