Team Khateer

Seek it. Find it. Adventure it.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

So, the student becomes the teacher...

And as it turns out, I kinda suck as a teacher. My partner & I went last week to teach, only to show up & be informed that the class was starting the next week. Instead we had coffee (=Nescafe) & cake at this guys house.

*I call this picture "Dogs playing outside of the church I teach in." I'll have to get a pic of the goat herds on the main street. (Click on it to make it bigger)

So we show up again this week, the cab driver gets lost in the dirt road slum & suckers me into way over paying him. The first day was fine; assessment test, & then a little lesson. At this point in the story I need to explain the total amount of prep we were given to teach:

  1. One pretty useless meeting that distributed zero teaching materials
  2. No information on the amount/level of students
  3. A few days b/f we start we get 1 copy of about 15 pages
  4. The response to an e-mail inquiring about getting some more materials & a better plan was basically "teach them English." Thanks.
I'm not bitching so much as I'm trying to explain we went in totally blind about nearly everything. Promise.

So the second day I march in (after learning how to ride the microbus, which are a mystery still). Lesson plan in hand, today we're really going to learn some Business English. Fast foward about 10 minutes to me standing there realizing for several reasons that my entire plan has just collapsed. & now the class wants to be w/ the other teacher. Well, not all of them.

So it looks like I have some homework this weekend.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home